Map(s) by Maggieanne

Maggieanne
This post was updated on .
Just playing around with mapping

After your advice, while not changing the shape, because it just is what it is, for this map.. I did try adding some details to add some dimension/depth to the map. Let me know what you think. :D

Well this is what I've come up with, after advice from Necrosis and Nurd. I didn't make a platform, it just didn't seem necessary for this map, but I will definitely keep that in mind next time. Thanks again guys!

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

Necrosis
Hey, Maggs! ^-^ I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say you're new to mapping; don't fret, this isn't a bad thing! For a beginning mapper, I actually really like your tile selection and colour scheme. Everything blends well with another, and makes sense. You don't have dark reds and then an electric blue coming out of no where. I also like the Objects you decided to decorate the map with. Again, they fit the scheme of the map really well and actually feel like they should be there. This is where, however, I will start my advice:

*You have a solid layout for a map, however try to steer away from straight lines w/cut and dry lines and shapes. Throwing in a curve here or there can be the difference between a generic map and an exceptional map that catches your eyes.

*Depending on the purpose of the map, keep object placement sporadic while staying sensible. This will make the map feel more natural and appealing.

*If possible, think about giving your maps levels. Giving your map something as small as just a counter-top, or a stairwell, or even a ladder can make the map feel less 2-Dimensional, and will provide a refreshing atmosphere for your maps. HOWEVER, be careful with using this tactic because, you don't want to be adding staircases on a map that resides inside of a single-story building. To avoid this, you can always add a descending stairwell.

*Finally, don't be afraid to browse through the Artist section of the forums and scope out the different styles from various other mappers! This will help to broaden your horizons and provide you different ideas for different maps. Not only will you find inspiration in the maps themselves, you can see what those maps were critiqued on and use that information to better your own creations.

Other than that, I feel like you did a pretty good job for a beginning mapper! Keep up the good work, I'd love to see what else you can crop up!

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

Maggieanne
Thanks for your advice Necrosis! :)

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

Nurd
I hope you don't mind but I re-did your map to use as an example to other things you can do with it, in regards to elevation on your maps, like I was explaining to you in-game earlier.

Depth to the walls is still clear, but it is very, very hard to perfect. I usually go for this type of wall, where you can see the inside of it at the edges. It doesn't look complete, or perfect but it shows that the walls continue around the room, and don't just stop. Putting in another wall there shows that it does indeed stop, and it may look nicer but it does make the map more focused on one corner, rather than all of the corners.

The stage is elevated and can be walked on by NPC's or players, provided they get a warp there.

Elevation gives a map more life, making it more enjoyable to see. I hope you practice mapping more, because you have a nack for it!

Edit: I didn't get much time to add details like blood and skeletons down. You can do that if you wish :P

I'm only here for the food.

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

Maggieanne
I see what you mean about the walls,  but I don't like platforms/counters that you can only get on by being warped there... I suppose it can be a platform with steps that would go to the platform... I'll play around with it. Thanks Josh!

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

zombietacooo
i love it!! its perfect would be an amazing addition to BU!!!;D

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

Mamu
I wanna get married in there xD
Poop

Re: Map(s) by Maggieanne

Maggieanne
Here are some maps I made awhile ago, using strictly EO gfx.

Boardwalk Village

Snow Town

Snow Town Guard Quarters (Downstairs)

Snow Town Guard Quarters (Upstairs)