Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Results 11/1/2014]

Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Results 11/1/2014]

Cirras

Results

Due to the definition of forbidden words, which indicates that intent is not taken into account when muting for the word, we have decided to keep F**got off of the list.

It took a fair amount of consideration, but the word has many variations and contexts. The word is still punishable, just like any other offensive language. It is based on context. If you mock or harass somebody using the word, expect to be muted.

Thank you for your participation in the Player Poll.

The admins recently had a meeting discussing the forbidden words. The forbidden words are outlined in the Official Rules which you can find here on the forums. Such words warrant an instant, no-questions asked mute.

As it stands officially, the 2 words that are forbidden according to the rules are R**ard and N**ger.

Some admins have been punishing for the word F**got as if it is a forbidden word, however, it is not in the rules, and therefore is not. We apologize for these mutes, as they have been unjustified by the rules.

The question now becomes,

"Should Faggot be a forbidden word or not?"

PROS:

-New players may feel the community is safer and more inviting if the word isn't used.

-LGBT players may feel more at ease playing BU.

CONS:

-New players may feel more restricted starting out, which may turn them off the game.

-Rules against harassment already would cover the word's use in many negative contexts.

What do you think? Vote in the poll, and tell us your view below!

This poll is for players to express themselves. Admins cannot vote or comment on this one.
Should the word F**got be a forbidden word and warrant an instant mute?
This poll is closed.
This poll ended on .
The cake is a lie.

Re: Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Player Poll]

Graul
This kind of opens a can of worms, but it does need to be addressed. On the one hand, certain words should be moderated, why? Because the immature players shouldn't be allowed to run amok more than they already are really. They feel 'restricted'? Boohoo! Time to put put your bigboy pants on and realize that you still have to behave civilly online. Especially if BU ever wants to actually grow its community beyond 20 people.

But on the other hannnnnnd, since the word is NOT against the rules. This kind of makes it seem bizarre to only enforce the two other slurs and ignore the rest (there are a lot...). They are all basically the same in meaning at their core after all, usually used as a lowest form of degradation to another human being. People may play around and use them lightly now, but that is just because they have poor judgement really. Basically the issue is maturity vs immaturity, and this should not be something up to the players...
"All is darkness!" -Random Pawn
Aok

Re: Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Player Poll]

Aok
I will have to agree with the wise fishman of bu. I act out sometimes, but I could conform to rules like what he suggested.

Re: Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Player Poll]

trippykitty
I agree. restricting a few words will not change nothing, there are many hurtful words and people will just use another word to hurt others. So no matter how many words BU bans, it still won't change the fact ,that another slur will just find it's way to this so called list next.

Re: Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Player Poll]

Misterx
I don't even know why I am gonna say my opinion because our opinions were never considerated here but hey this comes from the brain of an asshole over here. I would have to say NO because once again, it gonna be banned in every contexts which shouldn't be, for the simple fact that BU is becoming a 2nd EE. We SHOULD be allowed to use any languages as long as it's not used to attack anyone. e.g. describing something DUH. I agree people using these slurs should be punished IF is ONLY used against other people. The N word cannot be used to describe anything so I feel is the ONLY word that should be fully banned. And I think many mature ppl should agree with me on at least that point.

Re: Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Player Poll]

Ikatchi
Seeing as to how mutes and kicks even temporary bans have no effect on people I really don't see the point of bothering with any kind of punishment for slurs. People know that they'll be punished but how little they care is only shown up by the fact they know they can come back to do the same stuff they did before without being perma-banned or having the character terminated. As long as they are given a slap on the wrist this won't phase anyone, EVER. It also doesn't help that ALL punishment on BU is a slap on the wrist. If staff wants to see a change in attitude with thins such as slurs, harassment, and general stupidity they'll need to go well over tenfold the current ''maximum'' punishment on the small things. Meaning there needs to be more bans for longer time lengths. I mean, take technine for example. He would do absolutely ANYTHING to get under someone's skin. and he did it successfully since he couldn't be properly punished even if he was banned. He ALWAYS came back to do it again and again time after time. To be completely honest.. I don't think harassment and things alike will ever get any better on BU, only worse.

Re: Forbidden Words - Help us decide on the rule! [Results 11/1/2014]

Graul
Cirras wrote
It took a fair amount of consideration, but the word has many variations and contexts. The word is still punishable, just like any other offensive language. It is based on context. If you mock or harass somebody using the word, expect to be muted.

Could you explain in which context someone uses the word Faggot and does not mean, well... Faggot? The UK people use fag for something else, but the rest of us basically have one use for the word, even if that is not what it actually means. As for 'variations', nope.

But in other words, the admins chose to side with immaturity and inconsistency over any slight form of order. You say the word is not forbidden but excessive use of it will get you muted? But the other 2 slurs still remain no-no's, unless of course we cleverly choose to misspell them to which the admins will just be like "Aw shucks, he said Raterd instead of Retard" and then just walk away. (btw isn't there still an NPC named RETARDED Apo???) As comical as that is, it makes the whole purpose of the rule into a joke, as well as you know.... allowing every other slur to be used so long as its not 'excessive'.

So I guess all my jibber jabber aside, what I'd really like to know and maybe others would as well is, WHY only those two words get such special treatment?
"All is darkness!" -Random Pawn