My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Cirras
Administrator
The edited fem armor looks much nicer! The legs just need a bit of antialiasing.
The cake is a lie.

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
how about now?

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Cirras
Administrator
Sheet it, that will look very nice!
The cake is a lie.

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
Working on it ^-^

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Nerah

Alright lets get started!
I talked to you a little in game about some of the art you've shown.
Your concepts are a great start, with practice and dedication you will improve beyond anything one could imagine.

Now before I begin, please don't look at my edit/redesign as something you can't obtain yourself. There are many artists that I look up to and I strive to surpass them; this is what makes me get better.

Well let start with the basics!
-You should never use the pure black < It is transparent in game.

-Build a strong structured outline before you consider coloring/shading it.

-When choosing colors it will vary, sometimes you will need strong contrast to pull out the best in it.
I highly recommend that you don't take the RGB scale and just lighten the color of your darkest.. it will give very sad results. (I always have around 3-4 shades per area;The metal of this sword is 4 colors. These shades could be of other colors: IG you base is a silver/blue you could have a dull yellow or teal-ish color to give it contrast and to pull from the other colors.)

You asked me to give you a palette for pixeling, and as I said I usually choose the colors as I progress through the piece.

As for shading, this will vary from what you are pixeling wither it be wood/metal or even leather, each technique for these will stray away from the others.
-Metal is all about find a point where you can pull the light to.
-Leather is quite flat and I usually don't use a highlight color.
-Wood is probably the hardest to achieve; My wood is much like my leather just with a bright highlight.

Now every artist will find a niche when they are learning, this will be a place where no matter what your are pixeling you will always be able to achieve  a similar effect in the art.

Anyhow I am not really one for explaining rather then just offering CC and making my own renditions! I feel you have the ability to tap into your potential but it won't be a walk in the park, you have to be able to keep pushing yourself and trying new things.

I look forward to you progress, feel free to contact me in game if you want advise or various help.
-Nerah
-Mat

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
Thank you so much.. and your sword... mine just looks funny next to it :p

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Cirras
Good effort on your part here - Try for some less saturated colors and smoother shading. You can see some great examples over at Pixelsource.org!
The cake is a lie.

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
Think i'm progressing backwards? :/

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

Nurd
Alright, here's your edit of the armors and weapon.

Your shading is perfectly fine, as is your choice of color. Your only real problem, I would suspect, is the saturation of the said colors. If you take a look at the palette I left over in these images, you'll see that the saturation is toned down, in comparison to yours, which is at max. You can see this more clearly in Graphicsgale. Nothing to worry about though! I've just recently learned about the saturation of colors.

I would recommend looking at Pixelsource.org while doing these, aswell as using the program Graphicsgale. Both are very helpful and have helped me a lot in progressing in my pixel art. The extra zoom is beautiful. <3

Keep up the good work man! Your progress is very good.
I'm only here for the food.

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
Thanks so much ;)

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
Updated.

Updated

Added new

You seem to have the basis down well, I'd like to see some more experimentation in your shading. Also, try to branch out from armors into other item types or even a monster, it's all about practice.
The cake is a lie.

Re: My pixels (UPDATED REGULARLY)

spudd
Yes sir! ;) Thanks for taking time to look aswell!!
123